Customising your Gutenberg WordPress business website for
Here at Feel Created, we build custom WordPress websites in Gutenberg to suit your brand. Find out how we do it...
In our last article, we gave you an overview of the Gutenberg page builder for WordPress. We talked you through how easy the default block editor is to use for business websites. And how it's more intuitive and visually appealing than the classic editor.
Creating web pages for your business websites takes just a few minutes using pre-made patterns. And novice users can move blocks and elements around in a much simpler way.
There’s so much you can do yourself with the Gutenberg editor in WordPress. But to make sure you stand out from the 1.13 billion other websites, you might want to consider customisation.
Create on-brand, engaging website pages
The Gutenberg block builder is so much easier to use than the classic WordPress editor. The drag-and-drop interface will save your team endless amounts of time.
Here at Feel Created, we build custom WordPress websites in Gutenberg to suit your brand.
How do we do that? We set you up with patterns and blocks to choose from that align with your exact brand identity. So, there’s no going off-piste. That’s the quickest route to an inconsistent website.
Most agencies don’t custom build their Gutenberg blocks. But we’re not most agencies.
For us, it's not good enough to rely on multiple themes and plugins. Doing that will result in a finished website that only does mostly what you need. And only looks almost as good as you imagined.
You deserve better than that.
You deserve a website that goes beyond the generic. You want engaging, responsive web pages taking visitors on a journey that ends with them choosing you, every time.
Because we build custom Gutenberg blocks tailored to your exact needs, there isn't much we can't do.
We don't rely on plugins. So, if you've been struggling to find one that does what you want, it's not an issue.
Customising your website will help you avoid the ordinary and stand out in a sea of sameness.
When you work with us, we guide you through our tried and tested process:
- You come to us and share your vision.
- We create a brief including all the things you want your site to do.
- As we don’t work from templates, we can create whatever you need.
- If you like animations, we’ve got you. Want a magazine-style layout? No problem. Need an integration for your CRM? We can do that too.
- Once we fully understand your vision for your website, we move into the design, development and launch stages.
We take the time to go through your quote in detail. So we know exactly what you need.
With us, you can be confident we’ll understand how your site should work and look.
At every step, we’ll look at how we can make things simpler. So you’re not relying on a complex network of plugins slowing down your site and causing security risks.
Using your brand identity guidelines, we’ll produce a design that meets your aspirations.
Out-of-the-box Gutenberg blocks don’t have impressive fade-in text or parallax effects.
With us, you’ll get a site that looks designed. It will feel created. Never templated.
You’ll get access to a staging area in the early phases of development. This way, you see the early progress, test it out and give us feedback.
Once your website is ready, we don’t just disappear.
We’ll start with a comprehensive online training session with your team, and show you how to make full use of your new website, including all the tools available to you.
We’ll also record the session and provide you with a full copy for you to refer back to, or provide to any additional team members down the line.
We want to empower you to take control of your website and your online voice, but we’re still on hand if you have any questions, or maybe need some further guidance – even post-launch.
Once everything is ready to go, we undertake a comprehensive quality assurance phase.
We’ll check everything is up to scratch, works across different browsers and mobile devices, and achieves the best in performance, usability and SEO against a range of industry benchmark tools.
The whole process is a collaboration. So you can be sure we’ll bring your vision to life.
When you’re choosing a WordPress developer, you’ll want one that builds their blocks from scratch.
The last thing you want is for your vision compromised by an underqualified developer. At Feel Created, we write it all ourselves. Never relying on pre-built patterns and multiple plugins. All the content will be completely tailored to suit your brand.
Of course, not all plugins are bad. Some of them are really useful. Yoast, for example, is great for search engine optimisation (SEO).
We do use a few plugins alongside the block editor on our projects. But we have strict criteria.
They need to:
- Be well established, with regular updates. It’s a red flag for us if it hasn’t had an update in the last month.
- Be popular, with plenty of users. If it only has a few thousand users, that’s a cause for concern.
- Make sense. For example, there’s no need for us to build an SEO tool from scratch. Yoast is robust and well respected. We’re not in the business of wasting your time and budget reinventing the wheel.
How we work with WordPress plugins:
- We don’t use more plugins than absolutely necessary.
- We only use them when it makes sense for you.
Setting up your brand colour palette in Gutenberg
A consistent visual identity is a huge part of aligning your website with your brand. This is something we'll bake into your website design from the get-go.
This means making sure your colour palette, logos and fonts are consistent.
Gutenberg has a handy colour picker on the settings panel. So you can change the colours of your block elements.
So, if you want a font in vibrant purple, you’d use the colour picker tool to choose a shade.
Why is the Gutenberg colour picker not ideal?
Because depending on the size of your business, you'll likely have more than one team member with editing access to your site.
Keeping a website updated is crucial for your audience and customer experience. Not to mention SEO.
When we build your website, we like to make things easy for you. Meaning staff can add pages, blog posts, and make changes to text, blocks and elements with no trouble.
You're probably thinking "Well that sounds great! So, what's the problem?"
The problems come when different users can put random colours all over your website.
- Your branding becomes inconsistent. It’s confusing and distracting for visitors.
- Inconsistent visuals across your site look amateurish. This erodes your credibility and trust.
- Some colour pairings are problematic for accessibility. Contrast ratios can be off, making things difficult to read.
To avoid these issues, we’ll build your colour palette into your custom patterns within the block editor.
So you and your team can easily update your website. No straying off-brand or causing accessibility issues.
Of course, there is a lot more to your brand identity than just the colour palette, but this is a great example of how we help you maintain and present a strong identity across your entire website with little fuss.
Will the back-end mirror the front-end experience for visual editing?
Most people tasked with updating their company website have no coding experience.
And you don't need any for the website we'll create for you. Even the least techy member of your team will find it a breeze to work with.
Our custom-built WordPress websites have a lot of synergy between the back-end and the front-end. They’re virtually seamless in how they look.
So maintaining and updating content on your business website needn’t be confusing or time-consuming.
- Publishing regular, helpful content that gives your readers what they want.
- Using the correct heading tags in the right places.
- Fixing broken links and updating your internal and external links.
- Creating descriptive and simple URLs for your documents and pages.
- Editing text, so it’s easy to read and follows web copywriting best practices.
- Updating meta titles and descriptions to keep them relevant and optimised.
All these tasks can be time-consuming. So we make sure the process of making changes is as easy as possible, with:
- A back-end that looks almost identical to the front-end.
- A range of engaging patterns to choose from, designed specifically for your business. So you don’t need to select multiple blocks every time you need a new page or section.
- A series of repeatable section layouts (like FAQs, case study pages or product descriptions). To save you time when adding new services.
So what kind of integrations do our clients ask for?
- Ticketing platforms like Eventbrite are popular integrations. It means visitors can book your event without navigating away.
- Customer Relationship Management (CRM) systems can also integrate with your website. Giving you analytics and useful insights on customer behaviour.
- Email marketing platform (ESP) is another popular integration type. If you link your website with your ESP, it makes adding sign-up forms a lot easier. Automated campaigns based on user behaviour are also quicker to set up.
- Social media feeds are a great way to show your activity across different platforms and keep fresh content on your website. We can integrate with platforms such as Instagram and X (formerly known as Twitter) to show engaging feed walls that can easily be placed around your site.
Is there a steep learning curve for Gutenberg WordPress?
Again, no. With us, you get an intuitive and user-friendly business website. While the out-of-the-box Gutenberg editor is more visually appealing than the classic builder, we go much further.
- Your finished site will look almost identical in the backend as it does at the front. It’ll be much simpler for you to make future updates to pages and posts.
- We provide full training along with a complete recording of the session you can keep and come back to.
- Our development phase is always staggered. And you’ll get early access to the staging area as we work, so you get to witness the progress in real-time.
- We also offer phased launches. These work well for businesses who are on a tight deadline. We’ll build the initial few pages for a launch. And then continue the development, adding more pages and features in later phases.
- You can also choose packages for hosting and ongoing maintenance. So, you might book a block of hours per month for ongoing development time if there are things you want to start adding straight away.
- Plus, we only use specialist ISO accredited hosting. This means your data is secure, and your website is internationally compliant.